1

Lack of Lazy

My college semester ends this week, and it's the first one I've attended since my serving my two-year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.Everything is wrapping up the way it always does; friends are leaving for home, apartments are being cleaned and the last few episodes of TV series are being crammed in. Finals are all but over - I have one at two o'clock this afternoon and then I'm finished - and there's an air of calm on campus. The rush of finals week has ended. Sighs are a little bit deeper and smiles are a little bit broader.

 I've noticed something about myself, however. Something that I caught a glimmer of over Thanksgiving break. I realized that I'm not the kind of person who gets excited for the end of things. I love beginnings. Not to say I'm the type of person who starts things and never finishes, because I'm not. But, to me, there's something about starting new that's really cathartic. Grades are reset to zero, and it can only get better. New friendships are forged with classmates. There are things to do, places to go and people to see.

 Over Thanksgiving, I was bored. Maybe bored isn't the right word, because the family I stayed with in Meridian was a blast. I think a better word would be antsy. Why was I so anxious? My teachers had all slammed us with homework prior to the break so that we wouldn't have to do any while we were gone. I thought I would really appreciate this. But then, there I was, day one of Thanksgiving break, checking i-Learn, eyes frantically scanning for an assignment to complete. I feel like I've forgotten the art of being lazy.

 Maybe it has something to do with my laid-back nature. I don't run races, I run just to run. I don't play games to win as much as I play to have fun (rhyme unintended). That doesn't mean I don't have a competitive Mike living inside me, I definitely do. But it really only comes out on my academic and career side. As for the rest of life, I'm not too concerned about being first or the best or the fastest. Point is this: I'm excited for break, but really I'm only excited to see my family and friends and get presents - at least I'm honest. But secretly, I'm really excited to start next semester and have classes and work and deadlines, because I'm pretty much useless if I don't have something to do.

 You know what though?

 That's a flaw I'm ok with.


 - Mike


 Maintain Consciousness - Relient K

1 comments:

Rachel Cope said...

Oooh that's what I must be feeling right now. After a year and a half of school with only three weeks of break, I don't know what to do with myself. Someone, please teach me how to be lazy.

People Who Are Obviously Bored

THANKS!